Wednesday, January 23, 2013


Cognitivism in Practice

The cognitive learning theory revolves around how information is processed through different sections of the brain (Laureate Education Inc., 2010). As a special education teacher, I feel it is especially important to understand how information is processed and how to best reach each individual student. Many students have difficulty retaining information, and others commit the information to short-term memory and forget it after the test. Our job as teachers is to deliver instruction so students can internalize the information presented, giving them a collection of information to draw from in the future. A proven way to allow information to reach long-term memory is to provide a multisensory approach (Laureate Education Inc., 2010).

There are a number of instructional strategies that aid in the retention of information in long-term memory. One such strategy is cues, questions, and advance organizers. Each part of the instructional strategy can be clearly defined. Cues refer to any reminders or hints that students receive regarding what they are about to experience. Questions are similar to cues and help students trigger their memories and access prior knowledge. Advance organizers are what teachers present to students before a learning activity to help them categorize and make sense of the information (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). When thinking about incorporating technology into these instructional strategies, a useful tool seems to be the concept map. Students are able to look at essential questions or larger topics and organize information in an easy manner. Students can even create their own visuals to show how pieces of information are connected to an overarching theme or belief. Putting all the information together on a concept map shows connections, cause and effect, and other important concepts.

Another useful instructional strategy is summarizing and note taking. This strategy focuses on the ability to take larger chunks of information and synthesize, or boil it down into a concise package (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Summarizing is something that people are required to do in almost every facet of life. Reading books, watching movies, attending trainings, or recalling what has happened in the past requires summarizing. Being able to analyze information and determine what is not just interesting, but most important is crucial.  Many elementary students struggle with the ability to take notes, and tend to copy too much information. For elementary students who are just learning how to summarize and take notes, I feel that the Word AutoSummarize tool is beneficial. This tool takes a selection of text and provides a summary in different formats (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Using this tool can give students the ability to check and see if what they think is the main point of a passage is correct. Giving students the opportunity to highlight or summarize on their own and check with the AutoSummarize tool provides scaffolding and instant feedback.

I feel that both instructional strategies discussed are helpful. Summarizing and note taking and cues, questions and advanced organizers both provide students with support and skills necessary to become successful in education and life in general. Although I use both strategies in my class, I have not incorporated either of the technology components discussed to date. I look forward to using the tools discussed and bringing a more meaningful multisensory approach to the classroom.

 

    References

 

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). [Webcast]. Cognitive Learning Theories. Baltimore: Author.

 

Pitler H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Cherence,
    I agree that any students have difficulty retaining information, and others commit the information to short-term memory and forget it after the test. I too can remember many times cramming for a test and as soon as I was done with the test and not remembering the information later. We as teachers need to help students make the connections with the information gained so they don’t have to do this. I too think that concept mapping could be a very useful tool, I haven’t done this before but I look forward to trying it and seeing how well the students start to make the connections. I am also looking forward to incorporating the new technology into my classroom and hoping that it will help make more meaningful learning for students.
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. David-

    I too teach students with disabilities and find it challenging to teach students note taking and summarizing strategies that can be useful for them. Our school just began using the Webspiration Classroom program that allows students to make the advance graphic organizers so they can organize their information processed with words and pictures. It is definitely a program that takes some time playing around with before introducing it to students, but it is well worth the time. The multiple learning styles that are incorporated by using concept maps such as this, ensures that all students can benefit from this and we as teachers are able to see what our students have learned and where the gaps still remain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,
    Summarizing is a great skill for students to master. Coupled with notetaking, students are able to see the main ideas being pulled out of a larger piece of work. During that time, students can also verbalize what the main ideas are and clarify the difference between a main idea and a supporting detail. To support notetaking and summarizing, I generally have students use T-charts or three-column organizers. I teach eighth grade English and reading and my students, for the most part, prefer to use organizers when they take notes. After taking notes, a concept map could be used to further organize and deepen understanding of new knowledge. Student concept maps could also serve as formative assessment documents that reflect strengths and weaknesses of student learning. It would be an opportune time to clarify information, extend knowledge and skills, and/or scaffold students who do not quite "get it."

    ReplyDelete