It is important for teachers to
constantly think about how they design, implement, assess and evaluate in the
classroom. Thinking about teaching and learning throughout the process will
ensure that students are getting the most out of instruction, and that time is
being used efficiently. As we continue to move deeper into the age of
technology, organizations such as the International Society for Technology in
Education play a crucial role in helping teachers plan, deliver and evaluate
lessons effectively.
After examining the International
Society for Technology in Education website (2008), I feel that I am
comfortable with the second and fourth standards. I feel that the district has
helped me achieve the second standard by providing new technology in the forms
of laptops, Promethean Boards, IPads and a media center in the library. These
tools help me personalize learning activities and have a technology-rich
environment for the students. The new technology also provides students and
teachers with a number of ongoing assessment options to check the pulse of
student growth. The second standard of designing and developing digital age
learning experiences and assessments is now easily achieved. Also, as a teacher
of any grade level, I feel that it is second nature to follow through on the
fourth standard. This includes modeling digital citizenship and responsibility
(International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). Digital tools should always be used
responsibly, and teachers should practice modeling safe, legal and ethical use.
One indicator from the International
Society for Technology in Education website (2008), that I feel can be improved
is 1.d. Modeling collaborative knowledge by engaging with colleagues in
particular via a virtual environment is something that I strive to improve.
Much time and effort can be saved by creating a Dropbox or similar account.
These online accounts allow multiple people to access a shared account. Users
can add and take information from the account easily and from anywhere. Teachers
can share resources such as modified work, tests, plans and much more. After
setting up the account and showing colleagues how to use the resource, it would
be helpful to create folders to organize the work. Monitoring the use or
Dropbox would be easily achieved by logging on often and checking to see what
has been added. After a year of gathering resources, it would be helpful to
take an inventory check and evaluate what parts of the curriculum still need to
be addressed.
According to the International Society
for Technology in Education (2008), it is important to model digital age work
and learning. I would like to specifically focus on indicator 3.b.
Collaborating with students using digital tools is an excellent way to keep
them engaged in the lesson. I would like to create a wiki or blog for students
to post group research on regarding the Revolutionary War. Both the Social
Studies and Language Arts curriculums dedicate a unit to this topic which has a
vast amount of information. I feel that it is sometimes hard for student to
synthesize all the important information. By having a forum for groups to post
important information from what they read to, I feel students would benefit
greatly. A rubric could be created to monitor student progress and ensure they
are doing all the requirements. Evaluating the learning can be done by having
groups share what they have compiled and presented in a final project. Other
groups as well as teachers can give feedback on group findings.
Implementing both indicators mentioned
would be beneficial to both teachers and students. Sharing information would be
done easily. Implementing technology will also continue to submerge all in the
digital age of technology.
Resources
International Society for Technology in
Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T).
Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers
I have never heard of an online drop box for sharing files. One of the schools I was at did something similar with a designated shared drive on the school network that had folders for the different grade levels and we could save or share files there. It also reminds me of large collaborations of lesson sharing such as http://exchange.smarttech.com/ The problem I sometimes have with those sites it being able to narrow down the lessons and resources that will work best for my students in a timely manner. Would you you have a way to organize what was put in the drop box by your curriculum order, type of learning, and effectiveness of lesson for example, or will just a title be listed?
ReplyDeleteJenn T.
Nice post. It is easy to see you have a good grasp on the technology standards and are looking for ways to implement them more in your teaching. I was drawn in by the idea of using a Dropbox account to share and collaborate. I have an account of my own and use it to get files to and from my home computer and portable deceives to the school computers, but had never thought of using it to work collaboratively with another educator. Like the last person who commented we in our building have a staff drive on the network, but have also been working on integrating the program One Note into our collaboration. This is a Microsoft office program that lest multiple users access and edit a file. It could work similarly to what you described, but does offer some other advantages since it was designed for this work. One of the nice features is the ability to have live updating. You could be adding ideas at the same time as another member and see the updates as they happen. This way it can be a collaborative files as well a direct communication tool when necessary. It can be used by teachers in the same building or even in other locations. If you are interested you might want to check into it. I think our district purchased it with the other office programs we use.
ReplyDeleteHi David!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post this week! I felt similarly with the standards as you did and I was happy to hear that you also use dropbox. I feel that it is truly a technology tool that I cannot live without! I have it on my computer, phone, ipad, etc. I love that we have our documents at our finger tips at any time. Have you ever tried Google Drive? Some teachers in my district our switching over to the Google based dropbox and I just wondered if you had any insight on it. I'm not really sure if there is any type of difference.
I think that you did a great job of identifying your strengths and weaknesses within the standards this week. I agree with you that we probably all are a work in progress when it comes to adding collaborative technology tools! Right when I think I've mastered one tool, another comes out! I think I will always feel inadequate when it comes to technology tools because there is so much out there and available to us. Hopefully this course will help us both to learn of more digital tools to engage our learners.
Have a great week!
-Kellie