The International Society for Technology in
Education (2008) helps teachers understand the importance of technology in
education and how to efficiently implement it in the classroom. The website
gives teachers a number of standards to address in their curriculum. The
standards are excellent discussion points and goals for teachers to strive for
in their instructional practices. The indicators that I mentioned last week
that I feel I can improve on are Modeling
collaborative knowledge by engaging with colleagues in particular via a virtual
environment (1.d), collaborating with students using digital tools (3.b).
In order to achieve indicator 1.d. a
Dropbox account would have to be created. Collaborative time with colleagues would
also be needed to explain how to access the website, and how to navigate the
site. A list of topics to be addressed would also be helpful. After everyone
understands how to add materials and use the site, it would be helpful to have collaborative
time to periodically discuss how the tool is being used and organized. The
contents of the site can also be discussed.
Indicator 3.b. can be achieved by
creating a Wiki account for students to access and post information regarding
the Revolutionary War. First a Wiki account would need to be created with student
access. The teachers can model how to navigate the site and post information.
Then numerous child appropriate websites would need to be uploaded onto the
website for students to access. Also, using rubistar4teachers.org a rubric
would need to be created and posted so students understand the expectations.
Gathering these resources and information
can be done easily. Collaborative time would potentially be the most difficult
item to achieve. If faculty meeting time or common prep time could be used, it
would be ideal for staff. Otherwise, finding time for an entire grade level to
meet and discuss the resources may be difficult to do.
David,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have a good plan developed to help further your use of technology tools to collaborate with both students and staff. Have you thought about how you would approach the wiki assignment if a parent does not give permission for their student to have a log-on? This has been one of my struggles in the past. I was thinking that with UDL, it would be appropriate for some students to work on the Wiki, while other students collaborated in person or did an independent activity. However, it might be important to rotate through who completed which type of assignment if a majority of the class wanted to work on the wiki so that the student who did not have permission to use the wiki was not the only student who was not using it. Do you have any additional thoughts on how to incorporate a technology assignment when some students do not have parental permission?
Jenn
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading more about the plan you've created to help you better your uses of technology in the classroom. As I mentioned in my comment last week, I think you will really begin to wonder how you ever lived without a dropbox! My first grade team and I share everything in our dropboxes, which allows us to collaborate both at school and home, any day and any time. Sharing projects, rubrics, assignments etc, has become part of our daily teaching and allows us to all stay on the same page. Aside from using the dropbox, I think that your exploration of Wikis will really benefit you and your students. Wikis are a fantastic way to collaborate and are easy to use. I will also need to check out your site discussing rubrics! Overall, I think you've got some really great ideas of how to further your learning and create an even better UDL. Thanks again,
Kellie